Education & Certifications
- Columbia University; MBA (Beta Gamma Sigma honors)
- Tufts University; Dual BA (Economics and Asian Studies)
- Background in Japanese, Russian, and Czech languages
- Series 7, 63 certified
Sandy, a Managing Director at AEG Capital, has led numerous teams over a 25-year career in investment banking, strategic consulting and management. He specializes in assisting companies, management teams and entrepreneurs with capital and strategic solutions to drive company formation and growth.
Sandy brings deep expertise in advising corporate clients, knowledge of capital structuring, extensive international experience and long-term relationships with investors. He maintains a core focus on the intersection of media and technology.
Sandy began his career as a strategic consultant working for six years in the United States, Asia and Central Europe. He subsequently spent a decade in the Investment Bank at Citigroup and its predecessor firms focused on private equity and venture capital transactions. His last position was as a senior banker within Citigroup’s direct Private Equity Placements group in New York, where he was responsible for the start-to-finish origination, structuring, and capital raising for private and public companies. Sandy’s activities at Citigroup also included capital raising for investment funds, private equity secondary transactions and positions in the Financial Entrepreneurs (private equity sponsor coverage) and Acquisition Finance (debt finance) groups.
Sandy is also the founder of Discus Ventures, a strategic, operational, and private equity advisory firm created to provide guidance to early and late stage companies across industry sectors. He has significant business development and operational experience and has co-founded / helped to drive start-up and established businesses in the media, technology, education and financial services sectors.
Representative projects include:
- Company Formation: A seasoned management team, recognized as leaders in the traditional and new media industries, was seeking start-up capital to leverage deep experience and explosive market opportunity. Sandy led a team that refined and further developed the business plan and execution strategy, raised initial convertible debt and equity to launch the company and initiated strategic introductions to accelerate revenue growth.
- Growth Capital: A venture-backed mobile software company with a unique customer offering desired an equity infusion to fund expansion in a dynamically changing marketplace. Sandy drove a highly competitive capital-raising process to identify and educate a cross-section of financial and strategic investors. The transaction resulted in an oversubscribed financing round and successfully positioned the company for long-term growth.
- Cross-Border Expansion: A leading financial services firm sought to benefit from global trends by expanding its international presence. Sandy led a team that navigated complex legal and tax structuring issues to define a new corporate structure. The transaction focused on both domestic and international markets, resulting in a mix of equity and debt investors to capitalize a new offshore subsidiary.